My Buddy

I’ve had a bad cold since the week before Thanksgiving.  If you are counting, that means that this last week was my fourth week straight with this cough.  I finally broke down and went to the Voodoo clinic (university clinic) on Friday–which was also the last day of the semester.

Diagnosis?  Bronchitis.

Doc sent me home with antibiotics and cough medicine as well as a “just-in-caser” for yeast infection.  Joy Joy Joy Joy…down in my heart.

Dude.  Can I catch a break?

Meanwhile, more and more responsibility is getting piled on at work as I take up the slack for a coworker who isn’t carrying her weight.  I don’t think she’s going to still be on staff at the end of January.  I hope not anyway, I’m tired of the money we are hemorrhaging in her direction while I clean up her messes.

We were both hired at the same time to work together to get the Museum on track towards growth and more public awareness.  We were hired for 20 hours a week for a six month probationary time period and the only thing she has produced are disasters and embarrassments.  On the other hand, I may be getting more hours and possibly a raise.  I’ve been told repeatedly that the Board is extremely happy with me and my work and that I’m on track for the directorship. 

There currently are not any full time employees let alone a director, but if the fundraising goes well over the next couple of weeks and the museum’s investment portfolio recovers and doesn’t take anymore of a dump than it already has in this market…well who knows.  I might be working 40 hours as the new Museum Director by the end of the year.  In the meantime, I’m just hoping to get 10 more hours than the 20 I’m working now. 

Keep your fingers crossed for me.  The exec committee meets  this coming Wednesday to make their decisions.

I am starting to feel better, we restocked on groceries last night and I’m beginning to feel well enough to get a bit of exercise in without going into a coughing fit. 

Then, yesterday afternoon, this guy wandered into our yard.

He’s an un-neutered, young male weimaraner.  I’m not sure if he’s even a year yet, definitely not 2 years though, he still acts like such a puppy.  He was starving.  He has no tags or anything else to identify him.

I don’t know if he got lost or was abandoned, but if he ran away from home it has to be due to abuse or neglect.  This breed is extremely loyal and requires a great deal of attention and exercise.  This is not the kind of dog you leave in the back yard for long periods of time.  I’ve posted “found” ads at Craigslist, Petfinder, and a few other sites.  I’ll put an ad in the paper on Monday and check with Animal Control before seeing if my vet will scan him for a microchip for free. 

There’s a big part of me hoping he can stay, he’s lifted my spirits like nothing else since Hank was killed by that car last Sunday.

He’s extremely high energy and from what I know and have read about the breed he requires a lot of exercise and is extremely attached to his family.  He seems to have adopted me.  He’s glued to my hip, and I can’t go anywhere without him right on my heals. 

Before we introduced him to our dogs last night, we had to go to the store, and for lack of anywhere else to confine him I put him in the bathroom.  He didn’t like that.  He clawed up the door frame and door.  Turned on the water in the bathroom sink–there are paw prints all over the bathroom mirror too– and chewed on a roll of toilet paper.  He’s got some serious separation anxiety issues.  Once we established that he and our other dogs could get along and introduced him to our big backyard, he did better without me in sight. 

He has a marking issue (he needs neutered bad!) so he spent the night outside, but he was waiting for me at the back door this morning.  He gave me the incentive this morning to get up and go for a walk and burn off some of that abundant energy of his.   I’ll probably take him for another walk later today.

Perhaps he’s just what I need to make me get moving each day.  We are calling him “Buddy” for lack of anything else to call him.  I’m not fond of it for a name but I’m also trying to keep form getting attached just in case he actually has a good owner looking for him.


3 responses

  1. Such a sweet puppy (okay, minus the bathroom tear-up and the marking-of-territory issues, lol)…and that’s terrific news about your job! Crossing everything for you!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s